How do I know if my baby is getting enough to eat?
- active and alert
- happy and satisfied after eating
- breastfeeding at least 8 times in each 24 hours
- suckling and swallowing while breastfeeding
- losing less than 7 percent of his birth weight
- gaining 4-8 ounces each week after the first week
- having four or more poops and six or more wet diapers a day by day 5
If you see all these signs, you can be sure your baby is getting enough to eat. If you are unsure, keep breastfeeding, and call your local WIC office.